If you use your computer daily, you should run this utility once a week to help prevent data loss.
- Close all open files.
- Click Start, and then click My Computer.
- In the My Computer window, right-click the hard disk you want to search for bad sectors, and then click Properties.
- In the Properties dialog box, click the Tools tab.
- Click the Check Now button.
- In the Check Disk dialog box, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
- If bad sectors are found, choose to fix them.
Tip: Only select the "Automatically fix file system errors" check box if you think that your disk contains bad sectors.
Related Topic: (How to used Scandisk)